Friday, June 24, 2011

If you've never walked through Ubud carrying a Didgeridoo, you'll have to take my word for it -- it is the most fun you can have while carrying a refurbished tree trunk.

A few days ago (or weeks? I'm not sure, I've lost all track of time),  I was finally ready to venture out on my own and went looking for some live music. It was Friday night in Ubud. I had two options -- Boom Boom Room or some tourist trap. I chose Boom Boom. I had been there before and knew the music would be good enough. I also knew there was a small chance the bartenders would juggle fire. My friends thought I had planned a secret rendezvous with a mysterious Balinese boy. Ha! The truth was, I needed a rendezvous with myself.

The rest of the crew headed to a local village for a party, I headed to Boom Boom on my scooter. I took a seat at the bar and within seconds was surrounded by a huge group of tattoo-covered local boys. Not bad for the ego! I was a bit overwhelmed, but they were sweet and friendly as can be. Most of them just smiled and stared at me. Then one guy finally started a conversation. His name was Gopal, but I called him Goofy. He kept making funny faces when his Aussie friend Andrea snapped his picture. Goofy and Andrea wanted to know everything about me. Why was I in Bali? Why was I not married? Why was I lying about my age? Andrea told me about the time she had brain surgery and was completely awake. Mentally blocking the experience only worked until she heard a loud drill at a construction site. After calling the doctor wondering why the sound of a loud drill hurt her head, he explained what had happened. She showed me her scars.

At some point Goofy excused himself to join the band for a song.

The sound that came out of his instrument quickly put me into a trance. I had heard it once before, but never like this. I was in awe. When he was done with his song, he walked up to me, saw the look in my eyes and promised he'd teach me to play the didgeridoo.  I later learned that Gopal had a factory where he made Digeridoos and drums for professional musicians around the world. Each piece was a work of art. He told me he'd give me one to take home. I wondered what I'd have to give him in return.

My first lesson was the following week. We met at the soccer field and sat on a bench. Gopal brought two large Didgeridoos and one beautiful drum made of ebony.  He also had a plastic water bottle half full with a straw. After playing a bit for me, my first lesson was to learn the difference between blowing bubbles in the water with force and without. I then had to learn how to breathe while relaxing my belly. The final lesson was to exhale through my mouth while inhaling through my nose. We decided to save that one for the next lesson. It was a lot for my first day. The local kids got a kick out of me making a nasty sound. But they were quickly silenced each time Gopal took a turn. So was I.

He let me take the instrument home so I could practice. He said he'd make me a new one for beginners and for healing. Hmmm.

As I walked through the streets of Ubud with my new toy, the men that used to yell "Taxi! Taxi?" gave up and smiled or yelled "Didgeridoo!" instead. Tourists from everywhere would whisper or shout "Digeridoo! That's a didgeridoo!" as I walked by. Kids surrounded me as we walked down the street pretending to play the instrument, giggling and applauding me. I was the leader of their marching band. During that five minute walk home, I felt like a famous rock star. Never mind I could barely play a note. Nobody seemed to care. It was amazing.
Gopal, me and Aussie Andrea 

Gopal with the band

Boom Boom Bartender

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think when you come home you should found the town of "Ubud" and all the bud lovers would be sure to move there.

June 28, 2011 at 2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home