Friday, June 24, 2011

Maybe Later

After spending three days in bed (at a 5 star resort, mind you), some friends were getting worried and urged me to get a blood test to make sure I was okay. Dewa (friend and also a driver) insisted on picking me up and taking me back to the doctor. After the doctor assured us that all was good, he admitted that he was late for a wedding and had to go. He'd have his friend drive me back to my hotel. Also, he didn't charge me a dime, neither did the doctor.

His friend showed up in a beat up old Toyota Corolla blasting house music on a cassette. I could tell he was very proud of this mix tape. I'm not a fan of the stuff but couldn't help moving to the beat when Vanilla Ice showed up in the mix. "Good mix, yeah?" I can only describe his hair style as a modern mullet. Modern because you could only tell there was more hair back there if you looked from the back or the side. I asked him to stop at the store before we hit the rode for some water. I asked if he wanted anything. He shook his half empty bottle and said, "Maybe later."

Within minutes of our 20 minute drive, he asked if I was married. I said no. He corrected me and said, "Not yet." I nodded in agreement. I asked him if he was married. He answered, "No." I asked if he wanted to get married. He said, "Maybe." Maybe? How western male of him. It wasn't what I was used to hearing here in Bali. So I quipped back, "Maybe later?" I was making fun of his cavalier attitude toward marriage. Clearly this went right over his mullet. You would've thought that was the funniest thing he'd heard all year! He lost his shit he was laughing so hard. He kept repeating, "Maybe later!", laughing his ass off.

And this is how the rest of our conversation went:

Him: You want to marry in Bali?
Me: Maybe. Well, no. Maybe honeymoon.
Him: You want to marry Balinese man?
Me: Not really.
Him: Maybe later?
Me: Haha. Nope.
Him: Maybe I no go home tonight? [belly laughs] Maybe I stay at hotel with you? Haha! Married! Haha we get married later!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very very funny! :-) Loved reading this little snippet of life story. So how are you feeling?

~Itai

June 25, 2011 at 7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home