Sunday, July 17, 2011

An end in sight

Recently, my computer decided to go from bad to dead. I cannot access a thing and it is now totally useless. I hope I haven't lost everything. To fix it while I’m here, they would've needed to send it to California and it may have cost me up to $500. I elected to just wait it out and fix it once I’m home, for free. “Home.” 

All of a sudden I’ve been in Bali for almost three months. Wow. Time sure does fly in happiland.

I recently I met up with a guy to extend my 30-day visa for the second time. His response, “Oh no. I’m sorry. I can’t help you with this. You’ve already extended once. Sorry.” From him I went to a travel agent to see if he could help. His response, “Oh no. You have to leave. Now.” But I wasn’t ready to leave just yet. Not even close. So I headed off to find a Bintang. On the way, I saw some friends who invited me to “Happy Hour.” Happy Hour was the three of us picking up a few Bintangs from the Circle K and hanging out at their painting studio. I sat around drinking the beer while they did shots of Arrack. 

The next day, I had the privilege of spending time at a drum and didgeridoo factory. I practiced channeling my new found skills on the didgeridoo (well, “skills” is a bit of an exaggeration) while my host and teacher, Gopal, made drums. For lunch we shared a bowl of rice noodles and tofu from the street cart. Similar to a hot dog cart on the streets of New York but eaten with a real spoon and bowl. Once you’re done, you give your dirty dish to the guy. Gopal didn’t think my American belly could handle it, but I was fine. At the end of the work day, a few of us sat around testing out the new drums.

Happy Hour buddies, Brass and Koko

Didgeridoos. One will be mine!

Stretching the skin


Tuning the drum


"Playing"

The past week has been extra special. Once my work situation changed (we were over-staffed so I was let go to do other work for them - a blessing), I decided to cut my trip a bit short. As luck would have it, Mel (who I know from my days in New York) had two weeks left on her visit before heading home. We found a room to share and have been spending time riding around Bali, laughing until we cry and enjoying each others company ever since. She has made a wonderful trip extra special. Hanging out alone in Bali is lovely at first, but life gets lonely quickly in Ubud. I knew my loneliness had gotten bad when I caught myself singing and crying to the part in Piano Man when Billy Joel sings, "They're sharing a drink they call loneliness but it's better than drinking alone..." It is also a gift to have a friend with you to witness and appreciate when you're experiencing a shift. Luckily, we get along like two peas in a Bali pod. We're also really good at sharing things like her computer, my camera and raw chocolate cake for desert. Or breakfast. It's also great to have someone to roll your eyes at when one too many people shout "Yes? Taxi?" as you walk by. I was lucky enough to find a seat on her flights back, which will make the long journey much more enjoyable.

Me and Mel

Coffee break


Me. Happy.

A rare sunny day



I leave in less thank a week. While it will be three months, at times it feels as though I've been here for years. I walk down the street and hear my name from random friends I've made along the way. At night, every bar I walk into feels just like Cheers. I could get used to this. But I'd rather not.

This trip has been life-changing on many levels. I've learned a ton about myself, I've been challenged in many ways and I've had moments of complete and utter bliss. My work is done here. At leas for now.

I'm officially ready to start my next chapter.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home